Starter credit cards are great to use to repair poor credit scores or to build a credit score. These cards require a small deposit which becomes the credit limit. With responsible us the credit card issuer may increase the limit. The lower credit limits help keep spending in check and make it easier to pay bills in full, which gradually increase your credit score and leads, eventually to unsecured card.
The Best Starter Credit Cards Of 2018 (From CreditCards.com)
- Citi® Secured Mastercard®: Best for No Annual Fee
- Discover it® Secured: Best for Cash Back
- Capital One® Secured Mastercard®: Best for Building Credit
- OpenSky® Secured Visa® Credit Card: Best for No Credit Check
- Green Dot primor® Visa® Gold Secured Credit Card: Best for Easy Application
- USAA® Secured Card Visa Platinum® Card: Best for Low APR
- Self Lender — Credit Builder Account: Best for No Hard Credit Pull
- First Progress Platinum Prestige MasterCard® Secured Credit Card: Best for Fully Refundable Deposit
- Green Dot primor® Mastercard® Gold Secured Credit Card: Best for Low Fixed APR
- Green Dot primor® Mastercard® Classic Secured Credit Card: Best for No Credit History Require
Starter Credit Cards Benefits Explained
No Annual Fee, and unlike a prepaid card, it helps build credit history with monthly notifications to the credit bureaus. A security deposit is required for this product (minimum $200)
Pay your bill on time every month to avoid damaging your credit. Citi can help keep you on track with Auto Pay, online Bill Pay and alerts.
Cash Back, Earn 2% cash back at gas stations and restaurants on up to $1,000 in combined purchases each quarter, automatically. Earn 1% unlimited cash back on all other purchases – automatically.
Credit building benefits with responsible card use. Unlike a prepaid card, it builds credit when used responsibly, with regular reporting to the 3 major credit bureaus. You will get an initial $200 credit line after making a security deposit of $49, $99, or $200, determined based on your creditworthiness. Get access to a higher credit line after making your first 5 monthly payments on time with no additional deposit needed
No credit check necessary to apply. OpenSky believes in giving an opportunity to everyone.
The refundable* deposit you provide becomes your credit line limit on your Visa card. Choose it yourself, from as low as $200. Build credit quickly. OpenSky reports to all 3 major credit bureaus.
First Progress Platinum Prestige MasterCard® reports monthly to all three major bureaus and approval is based upon a fully-refundable security deposit. We can approve you at any credit score, no minimum required.
Green Dot Primor card has credit lines available from $200 to $5,000! Low fixed 13.99% interest rate on purchases – with no penalty rate! No minimum credit score requirements! We invite all credit types to apply! No processing or application fees! Helps strengthen your credit with responsible card use. Reports to three national bureaus